We live in a time and place in which pain and suffering abound. I trust that this prayer, slightly revised from the Book of Common Prayer will help us give voice to what we are feeling and hoping.
O merciful Father, who hast taught us in thy holy Word that thou dost not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men; Look with pity upon the sorrows of thy servants for whom our prayers are offered. Remember us all, O Lord, in mercy, nourish our souls with patience, comfort us with a sense of they goodness, lift up thy countenance upon us and give us peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.
Pastor Tanner returns from Israel this week. We look forward to learning about her sacred journey as part of the World Without Walls delegation. She will preach on Sunday with Matthew 15: 15-22 as her text.
I encourage you to participate in this Saturday’s Pause: An Interfaith Space For Prayer and Meditation, 1-3 in our Sanctuary. Take a break from your busy life to sit, reflect, enjoy live music and just be. All ages welcome; a variety of interactive meditation practices offered.
Thank you for your prayers for the Hopkins family as we travel to Oregon Thursday-Sunday for the memorial service for Karen’s dad on Saturday afternoon.
Prayers of the Congregation
- All who have been devastated by the North Bay fires (Friends and members of LABC affected include: Ned Roscoe and family, Julie Milcoff and family, Carolyn Matthews’ daughter and family, Jim McAllister, Edwina Hunter, Rick McKillop’s sister, Kimball Jones and family, Many students of Mikki Boyd, Barbara Hunt’s nephew and family, Lowell Gibbs, Many students of Doug Marques and Cathy Leaks)
- The Bartlett Family as they mourn David’s death (His memorial service will be live-streamed from Yale Divinity School at 8:00 Pacific time on Wednesday at – https://livestream.com/yaledivinityschool/bartlett
- The Nutting family as they mourn the death of their mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, Phyllis (Funeral at LABC, 1:00, Sunday, Oct 29)
- The family of Warren Parker as they grieve (Memorial at LABC, 10:00, Thursday, November 16)
- The family of Lydia Anderson as they grieve
- Thanksgiving with Sydney Webster on successful completion of her ordination process (Ordination Service at LABC Saturday, December 16 at 2:00)
- Thanksgiving that Dave Gattey is home from the hospital)
- John Giles as he provides pastoral assistance in San Francisco
- Dale Edmondson as he preaches at Shell Ridge Community Church
- Wally Bryen as he provides pastoral care at Shell Ridge
- Robert Wilkins as he leads the memorial service for his friend, Joy
- Leslyn Henry and Anthony Marshall
- Mary Karne for Maryla
- Zondra Martin for Marty
- Sandra Dunn
- Kay Baxter for her family
- Joan Patten for Peter
- The Meads family for Jason and PO
- Sheila Sims for her mom
- Larry Hutchings for Dennis and Dennis’ mom, Jean, in her dying days (Also for Dennis’ brother, Victor)
- The American Baptist family as it mourns the death of Wes Brown, President of ABSW in the mid 1980’s
- The American Baptist family as it mourns the death of Lynn Hunwick, retired global servant and long-time member of FBC Palo Alto
- Jewelle and James Gibbs for Jewelle’s sister and brother-in-law
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner
- The people of Somalia as they recover from a deadly (over 320 killed) terrorist attack
- Josh Bonette, Kay Washington and family as they mourn the death of their beloved pet, Walter
- Thanksgiving with the Lee family on the celebration of George’s 90th and the baptism of George’s brother, Herbert
- Thanksgiving with Jan Scott and family on her 90th birthday (October 22)
To a standing ovation and thunderous applause the members of the Evergreen Baptist Association meeting at New Beginnings Christian Fellowship in Kent, Washington affirmed the election of the Reverend Douglas Avilesbernal as our next executive minister. Douglas is currently the Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Norristown, Pennsylvania and author of the recent book Welcoming Community: Diversity That Works.
New Members Appreciated – The Hunger Task Force meets this Sunday at 12:30 to prepare for our Holiday Ministries.