Happy International Woman’s Day!
I, Allison, did not take the day off work today, but I am celebrating women and the contributions of women in my life and the lives of our world. May women across the globe know their worth and be able to claim their worth in their own contexts. And may we all do our part to respect all women and work toward a society that respects all women.
This Sunday The Reverend Dr. Nick Carter, Interim President of American Baptist Seminary of the West, will be our preacher. Our Scripture reading will be Matthew 4:12-23 and Isaiah 60:1-7, 17-22. Dr. Carter’s sermon is entitled “Living in the Land of Shadows.” Sunday’s Forum will be a led by The Reverend Dr. Martha Taylor, Church Historian at Allen Temple Baptist Church, who will discuss her new book From Labor to Reward: Black Church Beginnings, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley and Richmond 1849-1972.
This Sunday also begins Daylight Savings Time. Don’t forget to set your clocks ahead one hour, so you won’t be late for church!
Prayers of the Congregation
- Whitley Joachim
- Marian Ott
- Jeanne Robinson
- Jewelle Gibbs (recuperating)
- Carol Norris as she cares for her brother, Chris
- Gloria Joseph and the Wilkinson family
- Mary Karne for Maryla
- The Picou-Broadnax family for Aaliyah
- Tyrone for Latrice as she mourns
- Jeanette Paige as she cares for her father
- Kay Baxter for Stacey, Jamie and herself
- Yvonne Young for a colleague
- Tina Dright for her brothers
- Larry Sims for his family
- Sheila Sims for her aunt and her mom
- Rick Mckillop for his daughters
- Gloria and Phil Meads for the Elias family
- Phillip Martin and Cameron Wilson for Phillip’s Uncle Mike
- Alean Saunders-Coffey for her daughter-in-law and family
- Zondra Martin and family
- Larry Hutchings for Dennis’ brother, Victor
- Ann Fields and family
- Doris and Ted Evans and family
- Camille and Warren Parker and family
- Marie Johnson for family, friends and colleagues
- All our homebound members
- All who live with mental illness
- All who come to church seeking assistance
- All who are facing difficult work situations
- All who represent LABC in diverse and wonderful ministries
- LeAnn Flesher (still recuperating from ankle injury)
- Tuck, Jayne and Daphne Chin
- Sydney Webster for Gigi and herself
- Edie Parrott
- Margaret Oladoja and family
- Chuck Johnston for Nancy Strange and family
- Irene Jennings, Joan Thatcher and Gordon White (Piedmont Gardens SNF)
- For our country, its leaders, and those who hold its leaders accountable
- For all who work for peace and unity
- For Pastor Jim and Karen as they return home from Washington D.C.
Forever Young meets this Saturday at 12:30. Their special guest will be soprano soloist Mary Callahan, who will share several songs as well as stories about her career, which as included singing in Carnegie Hall and at the Lincoln Center. Contact Alodia Corpuz (510.530.5743) George Lee (510.832.2408) or Sandra Lee (Sandra.Lee12@gmail.com) to RSVP.