I have a summons to appear for Jury Duty at the Alameda County Courthouse in downtown Oakland this week. I am to call in at 5:00 the evening before my scheduled appearance to see if I actually will be needed. Thus, the understanding we all live with, that we never truly know what a day or week will hold, is particularly pronounced for me this week.
In this light I found the following prayer from the Liturgy of St. James Episcopal Church in San Francisco, shared with me by Carol Lee of Grand Lake Gardens, to be most helpful.
Watch over your children, O Lord, as our days increase: bless and guide us wherever we may be. Strengthen us when we stand; comfort us when discouraged or sorrowful; raise us up if we fall; and in our hearts, may your peace which passes all understanding abide all the days of our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Whatever twists, turns and surprises the week holds for you please know that Grace is your constant companion. In those moments in which your pace slows just a bit please lift a prayer for our Vacation Bible Camp, students and leaders alike.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Thanksgiving with Lari Mussatti and Vic Archey on their marriage and prayers for them as they continue to mourn the death of Vic’s nephew
- George and Sandra Lee on the death of their nephew/cousin
- Tuck and Jayne Chin for their daughter-in-law Lena
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner
- Katrina Lau for Phil recuperating from an automobile accident
- The residents of Grand Lake and Piedmont Gardens
- Tess Benin for her family, and all the residents of Chattanooga, TN in the wake of the slayings in that city last week
- All those working to end the burning of black churches in the Southern United States #ThisisWORR (Week of Righteous Resistance)
- Phil and Gloria Meads for Deanna, June, Alice and Jerry
- The American Baptist family as it mourns the recent death of Ralph Showers, longtime head of Rainbow Acres
- Karen Hopkins for her mom as she prepares to move to Oakland
- Georgia Upshaw as she visits her sister who’s husband recently died
- Pastor Tanner for her family in Wyoming
- All who turn to the church for assistance
- All who are traveling
- Johanna Wilkinson for her mom
- Sandra Dunn for her father
- Karen Okusu for her mom
- Sydney Webster for her dad
- Doris and Ted Evans and family
- Margaret Oladoja and family
- All who are searching for affordable housing
- June 2015 was the hottest month on record in the history of the planet. May we find ways to reduce carbon emissions.
- May wisdom and justice be made manifest in the current immigration/sanctuary city debate
Pastor Tanner will be our preacher this Sunday. Our worship will be a celebration with our Vacation Bible Camp participants.
There are a few tickets still available for the July 31 A’s game. Contact Pastor Tanner.
There are still two rooms available for the Church Retreat. Contact Pastor Tanner.