It is a busy week at LABC with Bible Study on Wednesday morning, the Long Range Planning Committee meeting on Wednesday evening, the Interfaith Council of Alameda County at noon on Thursday (Visitor Center, LDS Temple), Flick Flack on Friday night, and the memorial service for Alice Edmondson on Saturday at 2:00. Prayers that all will contribute to the common good.
On Sunday my sermon will be taken from Psalm 46; 1-7, Luke 6: 20-26 and Ephesians 6: 10-17 and titled “Staying Close to Trouble.” Carole Collins, Director of Operations and Finance for the Alliance of Baptists will be with us to bring greetings. Sandra, Mariel, Racheal and Whitley will report on their Minidoka Pilgrimage during the Forum.
What follows is an important invitation from Pastor Tanner and myself on behalf of our Sanctuary Working Group.
Invitation – we are looking for support for a mother and her two children, ages 8 and 10, who are seeking asylum and in need of welcome, support, housing, prayers and a community to help them settle in the Bay Area. If you are able to help out in any way – especially with housing – please let us know.
Brief Background – Lakeshore has been contacted by Pullen Memorial Baptist Church, a sister Alliance of Baptists congregation in North Carolina, about helping a woman and her two children who are seeking asylum in the United States. Nathaly is a beloved congregant of Pullen who has endured much injustice and is in need of assistance. As I listened to her story, I felt a divine invitation for Lakeshore to live out our welcome through befriending and accompanying this family. I’d be happy to share more details about her situation, and talk with anyone who might be able to help out.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Dayle Scott (surgery on July 12)
- Mikki Boyd for her grieving brother-in-law
- Rafael Soto for family and friends in Puerto Rico
- Virginia McClow
- Jesus Portillo for Max as he cares for his parents and for the immigrants to the USA who have been needlessly imprisioned
- Roxanne Jones for family friends impacted by gun violence and for herself as she grieves
- Doris Evans for herself and all who are hurting form the loss of loved ones
- Peggy Tamayo-Rogers for the father of a friend, gratitude for the help that God sends
- Jennifer Long for her family and herself
- Karen Hopkins for the boys trapped in the cave in Thailand, their coach, their families, their rescuers
- Pat Hughes, gratitude for family and friends
- Carol Leichter, gratitude for the life of Alice Edmondson and for her mom’s ability to attend the 70th reunion of her high school class, prayers for Dale E. and family, and Linda Allen as she attends a college reunion
- Margaret Alexander for herself as she continues to remember LaShaya and as she cares for Elizabeth
- Joel Reyes, thanksgiving for our visitors
- Alice Butler for friends Leslie and Dan as well as for herself
- Alice Singh, grateful to be feeling better
- Brian Byamukama as he continues to seek justice and live his faith
- Lola Afolayan for the people of Nigeria
- Marie Johnson, gratitude for her mom, her family and God’s many blessings
- Mary Karne for Maryla
- The Meads family for Jean and Alfonso
- London Breed as she is sworn in as the Mayor of San Francisco
- Carolyn Matthews during a demanding time at work
- Pastor Tanner for the Minidoka pilgrims and for our Vacation Bible Camp
Joy Meads (and her 30 lb. dog), daughter of Gloria and Phi, has a new job in San Francisco and is looking for an apartment to rent before August 15. If you have a lead please let them know.