Last week Lakeshore, along with several immigrant rights groups, criminal justice groups, and the larger faith community, sent letters to Governor Gavin Newsom offering safe and effective solutions to free our community members who are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 inside prisons and immigration detention centers.
This week, the Dignity Not Detention Coalition is calling for action! We have been asked to amplify these demands and lift up our faith voices calling for liberation, TODAY through March 29th!
Pressure is mounting and the Governor is beginning to release people from detention. Please add your voice by posting a message on social media, calling Governor Newsom, and inviting your family and friends to take action – details below. This is one powerful way Lakeshore can welcome the stranger, and stand with the vulnerable in our community, and engage in public witness in this moment.
Praying for peace and working for justice,
Post a message and image on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram:
- Be sure to tag @GavinNewsom and @CAgovernor
- Use hashtags: #FaithfulFridays #PardonNow #LetThemGo #FreeThemAll #Liberation4All
- See sample posts at bit.ly/Faith4Liberation
- Check out LABC’s facebook page for examples
Call-in Script for Gov. Newsom: (916) 445-2841
“Hi my name is _______, I am a member of Lakeshore Avenue Baptist Church. I’m concerned about those detained in ICE detention centers, especially during the spread of COVID19. I am calling on Governor Newsom to use his executive authority to:
- Urge ICE to release all immigrants in detention, starting with those most medically vulnerable.
- Halt the expansion of CA immigrant prisons
- Stop transferring people from prisons and jails to ICE
- Pardon Charles Joseph, Liyah Birru, and others who are in detention and prison, awaiting a pardon decision. Both Charles and Liyah are at risk of COVID19 given underlying health conditions, and are at risk of deportation!
Will the Governor help reunite families and protect people from COVID-19?”
Share with loved ones!
For more info on how to participate and how to share with others, go to: bit.ly/Faith4Liberation.
If you have any questions or want help with these actions, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.