The Reverend Robert Wilkins, CEO of the Oakland/East Bay YMCA, member of the Board of Trustees at ABSW, Lakeshore’s newest member and a long time friend, will be our preacher on Labor Day Sunday.
Robert’s Sermon is titled “Work: From Blessing To Burden and Back.” Preaching from Genesis Genesis 1: 27-28, 2: 7-9, 15; 3: 17-19a and Revelation 21: 2-4 he will provide us with a much needed biblical theology of work.
In the introduction to his short book “Work: A Kingdom Perspective on Labor” scholar Ben Witherington III writes of the need for a theology of work. “If you read a lot of biblical theology, you will probably discover, as I did, the the surprising truth that theologians seldom discuss mundane subjects like work or rest or play or worship. While researching my little book . . . I was hard pressed to find many viable reflections on a theology of work. Frankly, the scarcity shocked me, since work takes up so much of any person’s life, including any Christian person’s life.
Witherington goes on to note, as Robert will proclaim, that work is much more than (1) a necessary evil, (2) a means to end of making a living, or (3) a curse that one would want to avoid if humanly possible.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Virginia Cheatham (planning to return home this week)
- Bettte Pancoe (at home)
- Stan Benson (Piedmont Gardens SNF)
- The Berry/Parker Family
- Joan Thatcher on the death of her good friend Phyllis Deer
- Wendy and Jerry Neale (Pacific Coast Baptist Association Friends)
- Don and Linda Sheppard (PCBA Friends)
- The people of the East Coast recovering from earthquake and hurricane
- Kay Baxter Reid for her family
- Gloria and Phil Meads for Jon and Billy
- Warren Parker – Thanksgiving that Camille is showing improved health
- Toni Daniels for family and friends
- Larry Hutchings for his mom
- Cecil While on the death of a beloved aunt
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner
- All our teachers, students, school employees and their families on the start of the new academic year
- Mary Karne for Mildred
- Alean Saunders-Coffey for her aunt
- Bonnie Sato and Family
- Carol and Steve Leichter
- Ann Fields for her family
- The Evans, Edwards and Leche families
- Arnold Anderson as he settles in at Carlton Plaza (San Leandro)
- All who are unemployed or under-employed
- Daniel Pryfogle for his father who has suffered a stroke
- Thanksgiving with Brenda McCarthy on the birth of her first great grand child, Quentin Michael Dennis.
Sunday, September 11, is Homecoming Sunday. My sermon is titled “Praying in a Post 9/11 World.” The Voices of Lakeshore will sing. The Luncheon is being hosted by the Men’s Fellowship. They are asking for a donation of $5.00 per person to offset the coast of the beef roast, chicken, macaroni and cheese and green vegetable. They are asking to volunteers to bring other side dishes and to assist with clean up. Make reservations and sign up to help in the Narthex on Sunday or call the Church Office (510-893-2484). There will be a short quarterly meeting of the congregation during the luncheon.
Our Teacher Match Program (supplies for Public School Teachers) is again proving to be a great success. There is an information table in the Narthex on Sundays. Please stop by.