Having survived what proved to be a wonderful “Shock to the System Sunday” (time change), we now prepare for Palm Sunday. As is our custom we will gather on the steps of the Sanctuary and process into the Sanctuary to the familiar strains of “All Glory, Laud and Honor.”
The central Scriptures in our Palm Sunday worship will be Luke 19: 36-47 and 23: 18-25 and 32-48. In these texts, which tell of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem, of his trial before Pilate, of his condemnation at the urging of angry mob, and of his world altering words from the cross, we will note the power of words. We will pay attention to the way we humans use words to bless and to curse, to heal and to hurt, to slander and to save.
After worship I hope you will stay to join in one of LABC’s favorite annual events, the Hunger Task Force Bake Sale. I have not yet decided what I will bake but as my lemon tree is bearing abundant fruit I will likely opt for “Pastor Jim’s Fresh Squeezed, Home Made, Lemon Bars.”
Prayers of the Congregation
- Katrina Lau as she mourns the death of her father, Nelson
- Rafael Soto as her mourns the death of his father, Onofre
- Nedra Hathaway as she mourns the death of her brother, Tex
- Tina Dright as she mourns her former husband, Morel
- Gloria Meads, health concerns
- Aaron Singh, health concerns
- Karen Okusu, health concerns
- Sharon Gordon’s brother, Herman, health concerns
- Evan Wilkinson, health concerns
- Rosa James (Beth Eden Baptist Church), health concerns
- Ben Maruca in the face of a major decision
- Doug Marques for the City of Richmond in the face of an increase in gun violence there
- Paul Keener and Sydney Webster as they minister at FBC Alameda
- Robert Wilkins as he ministers at Faith Presbyterian
- Thanksgiving for the witness of the Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America
- Thanksgiving for the witness of the Alliance of Baptists
- Thanksgiving for the ministries supported by the America for Christ Offering
The funeral for Katrina’s dad will be this Friday, March 18, at 1:00 in Newall Chapel, Cypress Lawn Cemetery, 1383 El Camino Real in Colma.
The All Church Workday is this Saturday, March 19 from 9:00-12:00. Bring gardening tools, etc., and come weed, scrub, sweep, vacuum, sort and organize.