I hope the summer is going well for each you. I am sure there have been challenges. I trust that there have been joys. For me, the church retreat was a joy. (Yes, even rooming with Chaplain Robinson!) I understand that the worship service on Sunday with Dave Gattey preaching was also a joy. As always I am grateful for the gifted community that is Lakeshore.
This coming Sunday I plan to preach from I Peter 5: 3-11 taking special note of the instruction, “Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.” I want to talk about the struggle with anxiety that is so real for so many individuals and families. I do not want to be naively optimistic yet, I do want to point to some places, including spiritual practice, where some have found help. There is ongoing challenge, I trust that there will be joy along the way.
Prayers for our LABC team as they head to New Orleans to join in the annual “Till The Work Is Done” effort of the American Baptist Home Mission Society.
Prayers of the Congregation
- All who are mourning the death of James Chuck – parent, pastor, prophet
- The Bartlett family – https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/davidbartlett
- Gloria Meads for Beth and Jean
- Anthony Marshall and Leslyn Henry
- Mary Anderson for George and herself (health)
- Katrina Lau (health)
- Kay Baxter and family
- Mary Karne and family
- Karen Hopkins for her dad, Lyle (health)
- Lois Greer (health)
- Sandra Dunn (health)
- Robert Wilkins (health)
- Jeanne Robinson for her grandchildren as they prepare for the births of her great-grandchildren
- Amber Picou-Broadnax for Senator John McCain and for the Bolts family
- Doris Evans
- Tess Benin
- Ann Fields for her family
- Alean Saunders-Coffey for her brother
- The LABC Team preparing to go to New Orleans
- All who live with mental illness
- All who live with chronic pain
- Barbara Bowman (surgery on July 31)
- Jo and Dave Robinson
- Lorraine Weese (health)
- Jim Robinson (health)
- Marie Johnson for sisters-in-law Brenda and Pat
- All who are traveling
- Our elected officials – city, county, state and national
- All who are grieving
- Jewelle Gibbs for her sister and brother-in-law (health)
- Larry Sims for his family
- Sheila Sims for her mom
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner
- Valentine Royal and family
- Pam Claassen for her friend Susan (hospice care)
- All who are traveling
Channing Nesbitt, who had a birthday on July 23, sends greetings to the LABC family.
Leilah Clark recently visted Washington D.C. as part of the Global Young Leader’s Conference. This link will take you to a newspaper article about her trip.
From the Chuck Family
The Chuck children and their families request the honor of your presence at the memorial celebration of James Chuck’s life. At his request, please “dress normally,” not all in black.
Saturday, August 5, 2017
Oakland Burmese Mission Baptist Church
(First Baptist Church of Oakland)
534 22nd Street, Oakland, 94612
Meal to follow
383 Gellert Boulevard, Daly City, 94015
If you will only be attending the meal, please email Becky at firstname.lastname@example.org so we know to expect you at the door.
James’ wish is for a service that does not exceed an hour – you know how he felt about ending on time. If you have stories or comments you would like to share, please email them to email@example.com by July 31st and we will craft a way to share them with all.
Thanks and praises to God for his life are so appreciated! Gifts in his memory can be directed to:
American Baptist Seminary of the West Scholarship Fund
2606 Dwight Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
First Chinese Baptist Church
1 Waverly Place, San Francisco, CA 94108