After spending Monday in Seattle on Evergreen Baptist Association business I am back in the office today and rushing to get this message out. The main things I want to say are:
- In reference to our Vacation Bible Camp and VBC Sunday – Wow! Thanks to all who helped make this year’s camp so meaningful.
- If you are not at the retreat I hope you will be in church on Sunday to hear Dave Gattey preach. Dave is celebrating the 50th anniversary of his ordination and rumor has it that he has learned a thing or two over the years.
- The church retreat promises to be wonderful. Prayers for safe travels and a great time together as many in our community gather at Redwood Glen this weekend. Dave Robinson will be the leader for the adults, Paul Keener will lead the high school and young adults and Johanna Wilkinson will lead junior high and younger. There is a scholarship available if you would like to attend the retreat. Contact Pastor Tanner.
- While Soup and Study is not meeting until August 22 our Wednesday Morning Prayer and Bible Study is meeting to read the book of Ephesians and pray together. Join us in the Library at 10:30.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Kay Baxter, her sister Vee and family as they mourn the death of Abbott Lewis
- Gloria Meads for Beth and Jean
- Anthony Marshall and Leslyn Henry
- Katrina Lau (health)
- Robert Wilkins (health)
- Jeanne Robinson for her grandchildren as they prepare for the births of her great-grandchildren
- Doris Evans
- Tess Benin
- The LABC Team preparing to go to New Orleans
- All who live with mental illness
- All who live with chronic pain
- Barbara Bowman (surgery on July 31)
- Jo and Dave Robinson
- Lorraine Weese (health)
- Jim Robinson (health)
- All who are traveling
- Our elected officials – city, county, state and national
- All who are grieving
- Jewelle Gibbs for her sister and brother-in-law (health)
- Larry Sims for his family
- Sheila Sims for her mom
From the LABC Sanctuary Working Group
The Sanctuary Working Group is passing on a request we received from the California Immigrant Policy Center. This is an opportunity for us to express our concern that 2 Bay Area Congress-members (Eric Swalwell of Dublin and Jackie Speier of Hillsborough, both Democrats) voted to support legislation that further criminalizes immigrants and punishes asylum seekers. If you disagree with HR 3004 (also known as Kate’s Law), this is a way you can participate in advocacy on the behalf of immigrants in our community. Here is a short explanation from a representative on why he voted against the bill: https://medium.com/@teammoulton/vote-explanation-for-h-r-3004-kates-law-2e32c0a312c0. Here is a sample script to call and the phone numbers for both representatives. The Sanctuary Working Group is watching the movement of this bill as it heads to the Senate.
Rep. Swalwell: (510) 370-3322, (202) 225-5065
Rep. Speier: (650) 342-0300, (202) 225-3531
“I’m calling to express my serious disappointment in the representative for siding with Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda. The member should have voted NO on HR 3004, which will only fatten the pockets of private prison companies. It is wrong to exploit an isolated tragedy to demonize immigrant and instill further fear among community members and it is shameful that the representative went along with this.”