Happy 2012 to All,
As the New Year begins the Christmas season draws to a close this coming Sunday with the celebration of Epiphany, the visit of the Magi to Bethlehem. My sermon is titled “A Gift To Seekers of Truth. It is is the concluding sermon in the “The Many Gifts of Christmas” series. In this series we have learned that the birth of Jesus is a gift to the aging (their years of faithful service are not in vain), the young (they are given identity and purpose), the mighty (they are reminded that they are human and thus in need of grace), the masses (they are essential instead of excluded), the payers of tax (beyond the things that are beyond their control there is a peace and a presence), the givers of names (the understanding that faith is both a risk and a blessing), the singers of songs (we are given a song of peace). This Sunday we will learn that the search for truth involves risk, vulnerability and changed. It leads us home in ways we would have never imagined. In short this series has endeavored to lift up the universal meaning of the birth of Jesus the Messiah.
Prayers of the congregation
- Carol Travis (Norris) and family as they grieve
- Audie Bock on the death of her mother, Felicia (Wednesday, December 28)
- All the families of Oakland who grieve the slaying of a family member in 2011
- Shirley Jones
- Thanksgiving with Toni Daniels-Gordon on the engagement of Jullien and Pamela
- Kay Baxter for Jamie and Stacey
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner for health and employment
- Virginia Cheatham
- George and Sylvia Lee (Sylvia Lee is experiencing much pain in standing and walking
- The victims of flooding in Southern Mindanao (Philippines)
- Ann Fields for Gloria Murphy
- Joan Patten for her cousin
- The patients at Children’s Hospital and their families
- All who are traveling
- The Kachin people in the United States and in Burma
- The Sims family
- All those who sought assistance from the church in 2011 and those who will seek assistance in 2012
- All who are incarcerated and those who minister to them
- All our shut-ins
- Jessica Keener as leaves for five months of study in Ecuador
- Our church leaders as they prepare for the year ahead
- Larry and Leona Sims for their grandchildren
From Carol Travis (Norris)
This is the information regarding the funeral services for my grandson, Malcolm.
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Valente Marina Perata & Co
4840 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94112
Viewing: 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Rosary: 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
St. Finn Barr’s Catholic Church
415 Edna Street
San Francisco, CA
Funeral: 11:00 a.m.
Internment immediately following ceremony at Holy Cross, Colma, CA
Family requests that you do not wear black — pastel or light colors preferred.
Sunday, January 8
- 8:30 Orientation Breakfast for Departments and Committees
- 10:00 Worship
- 11:15 Coffee Hour
- 11:30 Adult Bible Class (Library), Forum (Sanctuary): A Converstation with Ryan and Amy Parker
- 11:45 Youth Group Reunion
- 12:30 Take down Christmas Decorations (Sanctuary and Family Room)