After a rainy Sunday morning I write on a brisk clear Monday morning. As per usual a busy week awaits. Of particular note is the “In Solidarity Against Islamaphobia” event sponsored by the Graduate Theological Union and hosted by the Pacific School of Religion and Zaytuna College. I will be part of an Interfaith Panel meeting from 3-5 p.m. in the PSR Chapel, 1798 Scenic Avenue, Berkeley. I will certainly point to the letter written by Dale Edmondson to the Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California that many of you signed yesterday. There will also be a Multi-faith prayer vigil from 5-6 p.m. and an Instruction about Islam at Zaytuna College, 2401 LeConte Avenue, Berkeley at 6:00.
Central to our worship on the 4th Sunday of Advent will be the carol “O Little Town of Bethlehem” and the fragile promise of the prophet Micah that from Bethlehem would come a shepherd-king.
Following worship our children and youth will present their Christmas play “Matt and Luke’s Version Birth.” It promises to be a delight. Thank you to Helen Harrison and Karen Okusu for leading.
I pray that in the rush to Christmas you will find space to breath, that in these days of late Advent the great quiet of the Eternal will meet you in the hecticness and give you peace.
Prayers of the Congregation
- All Who Are Grieving
- Cathy Leaks for Amari
- Nedra Hathaway as she recuperates from surgery (Waters Edge Convalescent Hospital, Alameda)
- George and Sandra Lee for George’s brother, Herbert
- Rick McKillop for his dad (health concerns)
- Cecil White
- Michele Austin for her father
- Declan and Sheila Brown, Sondra Price, Kay Washington and Joshua Bonette for Josh’s dad as he recuperates from surgery
- Doris and Ted Evans
- Katrina Lau (health concerns)
- Virginia Damretsky – health concerns
- Edie Parrott as she recuperates ( at home)
- Sandra Dunn for her family and for herself
- Kay Baxter – encouragement for Stacey, continued recovery for Jamie, continued strength for Kay
- Cordia Lee – strength for John and Paige, healing for Christopher, unity for Alta Bates -Summit, thanksgiving in all things
- Gloria and Phil Meads – school success for Alfonso
- Marie Johnson for her co-workers and their families and for Donnie and Nicole as they prepare for the birth of Donald Lee Johnson III
- Roy Browner and Al Johnson for Roy’s family (his sister is very ill)
- Joan Patten for Peter and Paula
- Sydney Webster for her cousin Symba
- All who are traveling
- Our Sponsor-A-Family Ministry
- The Muhler family (friends of the Hopkins and Ash families) as they mourn the death of Dede
- Alean Saunders-Coffey for the Gaskin and Dunn families
- Thanksgiving with Pastor Tanner and Roehl on a visit from their new nephew, Austin, and family
- Thanksgiving for the ministry of the Samaritan Neighborhood Center
- Thanksgiving for the Seafarers Ministry of the Golden Gate
- Thanksgiving for the ministry of the American Baptist Seminary of the West
- Thanksgiving for the ministry of the Correctional Institutions Chaplaincy
Christmas Caroling – Join in Saturday at 4:00 at Lakeshore. Carolers will visit Grand Lake Gardens, Piedmont Gardens and The Point at Rockridge.
Thanks from all of us on the LABC Staff for your kind and generous Christmas gift.